Established in 2003 by the Association of Nigerians in the Capital District (ANCD), ANCD Foundation is a not-for-profit tax exempt organization under 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Service code. The Foundation is dedicated to the implementation of programs including cultural awareness, technology and educational activities for the betterment of our community. The goal of the Foundation is to establish a Nigerian-American Community Center that will afford the Association the opportunity to provide worthy services to the community. Programs that will be offered at the Community Center will include:
The purpose of our community outreach is to develop community based programs that:
- Promote literacy campaigns
- Enhance cultural awareness of Nigerians through active participation in the community
- Assist new immigrants to acclimate themselves in the Capital District
- Maintain a food pantry, and collection of clothing for distribution to the needy
- Promote volunteerism among members
- Instill positive values, civic responsibility and skills for good citizenship in our adult and youth community members
- Strengthen educational/career aspirations of young people through mentoring
The strategic purpose is to foster a sense of community among diverse ethnic and racial groups and build lasting relationships through:
- Cultural performances and historical presentations for area schools and community based organizations.
With a pool of highly educated members, ANCD is positioned to offer after school/tutorial program to children in need
sANCD appreciates the importance of education and the need to assist young people in reaching their educational potential. In 1999, ANCD established the Okwesili Scholarship Fund. The fund awards scholarships to students entering college who are judged on academic merit, extracurricular activities, and the content and quality of an essay submitted with the application. Applications are available at area high schools from May to August of each year.
A PDF copy of the application may also be downloaded during this period by clicking here.